Sunday 4 May 2014

Crafters Sunday - Cannibalized Cuties


Cannibalized Cuties


 Jessica of Cannibalized Cuties


I had always collected plush and loved vintage fabrics and patterns I just never thought about putting the two together. It happened one day in my then small San Francisco studio apartment. Armed with scissors and a sewing needle I began what is now my passion.

Having since moved to Los Angeles I have a bit more space and have grown in my designs and am always continuing exploring different ideas. I take a lot of joy in looking at my fabrics and making sketches that make my beings come into this world. All my items are one of a kind, nothing has been prototyped or reproduced I feel each beast has its own personality and life.

One of my favourite hobbies is thrifting for vintage fabrics particularly I am interested in the funky styles of the 1960's and 70's.

I also have a passion for photographing the decayed and things that may not seem beautiful at first glance often are the most beautiful. Putting things together that may not at seem to fit at first or recognizing the beauty in times passing captures my eye and heart.



Questions for Cannibalized Cuties

 
1 – When and how did you first get the idea to start making your creations?


In the year 2005 I had looked around me and realized I had collected a lot of plush! So not knowing what to do with it all I started to cut them apart and sew mismatched limbs and heads onto mismatched bodies. Then I slowly started teaching myself to sew and as I got better I started making entirely my own creations.



2 – All your creations are magically unique, do you ever worry that at some point you’ll run out of new ideas?
 

No I don't really worry about running out of ideas. My inspiration comes from a place with in me. I don't ever use patterns.
 

3 – What has been your favourite of your creations so far and why?
 

Captain Crabby Pants is my favourite creation because he's the first one that I used the different facial features on. He's also the first one I did with the ears down on the side like they are.

 

 
4 – What would be the most challenging piece for you to create and why?


 
Actually things that are very furry are the hardest thing for me to create with. Simply because my sewing machine jams up at any hint of fur so I have to do it all by hand. It is the same if I want to add any suede or leather to an item.



5 – What advice would you give to anyone that’s starting out in crafting and wants to make a go of it?


My advice would to use a lot of good tag words to be found on the web, be very visual about what you have made and describe it as fully as possible. Also give the dimensions. But the best piece of advice I have to aspiring crafters is to never give up. Sales may not come right away but that doesn't mean your work isn't good. Keep at it and as long as you love it your right where you should be.
 
 
A big thank you to Jessica of Cannibalized Cuties for taking the time to talk to me and I look forward to seeing more of her curiously magical creations over the next few months!
 

 

 
 

Links for Cannibalized Cuties







 

9 comments: