Tuesday 6 May 2014

Writers Wednesday - Michael Linford


Michael Linford

 
 

Born in Boscombe, Dorset in 1977. I have always had a passion for 3 things, books, music and people. Having worked in music retail for 10 years I was able to immerse myself in music both at work and at home which was a joy. My other interest being people and helping them, I eventually moved onto carework and have spent the last 7 years looking after the elderly and troubled, both in their own homes and now as the supervisor of a large care home. I am a fully qualified hypnotherapist and am currently training to be a counsellor.

Having had aspirations of being a writer since very early in my life, I started to write poetry as an outlet for various issues I have suffered from throughout the years, such as depression and I finally put over 400 poems on my blog in 2011.
Throughout my life, music has always provided an inspiration, a support and a soundtrack to my life and I have always been interested in different people and their musical taste, so in the summer of 2011 I came up with the idea for my debut novel, Music for the end of the world, and this novel combines both my love of music and my passion for human emotion.

Music for the end of the world was released in December 2012 and has an average of 4.8 / 5 from Amazon reviews.

 

A huge thank you to the lovely Author ‘Tara Reid’ for providing the questions for me to answer on this filler blog! I promise to find some more interesting authors for the next Writers Wednesday feature!

 
Questions for Michael Linford

1 - How do you manage working (day job), writing and running a healthy and active blog?

After I finished writing my second novel, I decided to take a break from writing whilst I figured out my next step with getting it published. In this time I decided to launch a blog to help try and promote creative people across different genres, from music right through to performance artists. When I started the blog I worked nights and had 4 days a week off so it wasn’t too difficult to fit everything in, but in the last couple of months I’ve changed jobs and now work 5 days a week with just weekends free, so it has been more of a struggle but I’m finally enjoying all areas of my life at long last.

I might find it impossible to keep up with the blog when I’m writing again, but I’ll give it a good go and can always encourage others to pick up the running of it if needs be. I believe that people need a promotional platform for their creative outputs, especially one that is free and comes from the heart of someone who loves all aspects of creative minds, so I wouldn’t ever want to finish the blog altogether.


2 - Do you plan your writing projects or just blurt it all out and then jiggle it around to fit the purpose?


To be honest it’s probably a bit of both really. I come up with the original idea and have a rough outline of where I want the characters to start from and end up, so it’s the middle of the story that I then try to let it weave itself in my mind. I won’t force anything out with my writing and have a tendency to just play around in my mind with the characters and the basic idea, letting them come to life in my subconscious and tell me their own story. When the story starts to invade my daily life to the extent that I need to get it out of my head, that’s when I write the story on paper and give my brain some peace, hoping that what comes out makes some sort of sense!


3 – If you could go back in time, what advice would you give your younger self?
 
 

I never knew what I wanted to do with my life really but when I look back at my time at Junior school, I showed interest in writing back then for a prolonged period of time, especially children’s books, and really wish I had carried on nurturing that train of thought at a much earlier point in my life than I eventually did.

The only non-writing advice that I would give myself is to believe in yourself more and when people want to run you down and try to make you feel like nothing, keep your head held high, be true to yourself, and do your best to show them that their negativity won’t stop you from doing anything you want to.



4 – What advice would you give others wanting to write a book but unsure about where to start?
 

That’s a tough question for many reasons but I’ll break it down into 2 parts to put it as simply as possible.

With regards writing, my best advice is just to write as much as you can and not think about editing or anything else. Just let the words flow and see what comes out. Another bit of advice that I hear from many people is to make sure you would want to read the book you write because if you wouldn’t, how could you expect anybody else to?

With regards publishing, to be honest I haven’t fully decided what the best option is yet. I’m in contact with a lot of writers through the internet and just as many people say to go down the route of self-publishing, as do the people that say get it to a publisher and use the traditional routes. In my honest opinion as long as it’s professionally proofread, edited, designed etc… then whether you use a publisher or not you can still have a wonderful looking book and can remove a lot of the trouble that comes with having to attract publishers.

The main pitfall of going it alone is the promotional aspect of getting the book seen by people but if you can conquer this, then the world’s your oyster!


5 - What have readers got to look forward to in the future from Michael Linford?


Well, my second novel ‘As the wolf howls’ is written but needs to undergo a lot of editing and checking before it sees the light of day. It couldn’t be further removed from my debut novel ‘Music for the end of the world’ if I tried. It is very much myth and magic and incorporates another part of me that not many people get to see, the spiritual side that has always been interested in both Tibet and Native America.

Other than that, we’ll have to wait and see! All I will say at the moment though is that once I’ve spent a bit of time in an airport later this year, I’m hoping that my third novel will be well into the planning stage at least!

It all depends if anyone wants to read more of my words I guess?
J
 
 
Links for Michael Linford

 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely informative interview! I've 'started' writing a book and understand what you mean about getting it written and editing later. Ideas can be very disruptive lol. I loved your book and look forward to reading your other books :) xx

    ReplyDelete