Sunday 23 March 2014

Crafters Sunday - Lyra Lavernes Aether Emporium


Lyra Lavernes Aether Emporium

 

 

 
I started Lyra Lavernes Aether Emporium early in 2012. I'd discovered Steampunk a while before then, but having little money to spend on Cosplay stuff I decided I'd start making my own jewellery, and throw the rest of the outfit together with either corsets I'd made or things I found rummaging through shops that fitted the images in my head.

 After that it all just kind of fell into place, I'd made little rings out of wire and seed beads with my mum when I was little, but other than the basic "bead goes on thing" I had no idea, just learned as I went and branched into other styles, which was great fun!

 


 
Questions for Lyra Lavernes Aether Emporium

 

1 – What was it about Steampunk that you found so inspirational and led to you starting to make your jewellery and accessories?

Steampunk is one of those things that's hard to pin down. If you ask a hundred Steampunks their definition, you'll get a hundred different answers! One thing that can be agreed on is that it's the future, the way Victorians would have seen it, a movement filled with artists, musicians, crafters, Vive La Boheme! I think I was Steampunk before I knew of the word, growing up on the works of Jules Verne and H.G Wells, and it was amazing to find there were other people who wanted to play in the same imagination space as me. Once I discovered it, there was no going back. The only problem being the gorgeous clothing, home wares and jewellery were waaaay out of my budget, so I did something about it, and with lots of trial and error, learned to make them myself!

2 – Do you find it difficult to come up with new ideas or styles for your creations?

I don't find it difficult as such. I get weeks where I feel uninspired, but then I get a dozen ideas at once! The only real problem is there are only 24 hours in a day!

3 – What is the most exciting or special piece you have created so far?

I love all the pieces I make, and some of the custom pieces I've been commissioned to make have been so exciting! I love that I've made blue rose earrings for a wedding, I was really touched that I got to play a part in someone’s very special day.


4 – What would you like to extend your creative abilities to in the future or are you happy to carry on producing more of the same genre of creations?

I'm looking at taking my pieces to the next level, using acrylic, sheet metal, real silver and gold and now I have a reliable source of ethically gathered feathers I'm looking at doing more Victorian, tribal and post-apocalyptic styles too! Very exciting stuff!

5 - What advice would you give anyone that’s starting out in crafting & wanting to make a success of it?

My advice is, if you love it, just do it. We all get creative blocks, inspiration will come. Spend time round beautiful things or places and let it flow. Never create to impress, we all mess up and make a Frankenstein’s monster of things sometimes. Do it because you love it, the rest will follow.




 

Links for lyra Lavernes Aether Emporium

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/LyraLavernesAetherEmporium


Many thanks to Bex at Lyra Lavernes Aether Emporium for taking the time to answer some questions and show us more of her creative world!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment