Wednesday 26 March 2014

Writers Wednesday - Ed Hancox


Ed Hancox


 
 

Edward Hancox lives in the UK with his wife and two small, noisy children but spends as much time as he can in Iceland. Music - especially contemporary Icelandic music - is his other passion.
He writes about both subjects for various magazines and websites, including Iceland Review, Atlantica, and the Reykjavík Grapevine, and on his blog, icelanddefrosted.com. In Summer 2013, following a successful crowd-funding campaign, Edward published his debut book, Iceland, Defrosted which describes his obsession with the people, places and music of Iceland.

Iceland, Defrosted has received glowing reviews from The Guardian, Arctic Adventures, National Geographic Traveller and Wanderlust.

Edward enjoys growing plants, which, not unlike himself, are tall and thin. He has had particular success with bamboo and rhubarb. It is not possible to grow bamboo in Iceland, but rhubarb is surprisingly prevalent.
 

 
 

Questions for Ed Hancox

 

1 – What started such a passionate interest in Iceland?

Ha! I'm not really sure. I've always been drawn to the cold; a two week beach holiday is my idea of hell. I've been to other cold places too - Alaska for example, but it was Iceland that captured my heart, if that isn't too cheesy! Iceland, Defrosted is the story of my obsession with the people, places and music of Iceland.


2 – You used crowd-funding to get your book published, how did this come about and are you glad you did it that way?

Well, I tried the usual publishing routes, and as I wasn't a. Bill Bryson or b. Hadn't written the next 50 shades, no one was interested. If I was really lucky, I got a rejection letter. I wasn't content with that. I knew I had something worth reading, and I wasn't prepared to leave it on my hard drive forever. I decided on crowd-funding, and never looked back. The overwhelming support from around the globe proved I had something worth publishing. I still can't write anything remotely erotic. 


3 – Has the success of your book had an impact on your life, if so, how?

I didn't write the book as a moneymaking scheme. I wrote it to record my memories of Iceland, and to leave as a legacy once I'm dead and gone. Does that sound too morose? Yeah, probably, but it's true. That said, I am pleased and surprised that it's been so popular. I'm amazed every time I sell a copy, see it on a shelf in a bookshop and just completely taken aback if I'm asked to sign a copy. 

4 – What are your goals for the future, with regards your writing?

Iceland, Defrosted is still going strong, despite being launched in July 2013. I'm hoping to get it published in Icelandic (I have just signed a contract with an Icelandic publisher) and in German by the end of the year. I'm still doing promotional events for it too, which is really nice. As for a second book? Yes, there is going to be one. That's all I can say for now!

5 – What advice would you give to up and coming authors that are battling with getting their book published and the various options available?
 
Don't give up. If you want to get your work out there, you can. Whether it's self-published, traditional or some other format, it is possible. It's hard work, especially to get a quality product to the widest possible audience, but if it's what you are passionate about, and driven to do, it's possible. Honest.
 
 
Links for Ed Hancox
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment