Sunday 30 March 2014

Music Monday - Jennifer Jewell


Jennifer Jewell

 
 
 
 
Home grown DIY pop talent Jennifer Jewell has just self-released her debut EP ʻBreatheʼ ,via iTunes. ʻBreatheʼ showcases a variety of her writing styles and will shed light on her anti-factory, DIY style approach to making pop music. Jennifer has been writing and recording the album for the past year, mainly at her home studio, also producing two of the mini albumʼs 3 tracks.
Jennifer Jewell has been turning heads throughout Liverpool over the past 18 months, performing at huge events such as Liverpool Pride and more recently on the pitch at Goodison Park at half time to over 30,000 people.
 After spending 5 years living in London, networking and learning her craft, where
experiences included supporting McFly, and then working in Stockholm, Sweden with numerous producers, Jennifer returned to her home town and immediately won Radio Cityʼs City Superstar competition. Since then she has worked with top local producers including Mike Di Scala and Dave Whelan, on a number of dance tracks, with Manciniʼs “Round & Round” becoming a hit on the club scene. Chart topping producer Mike Di Scala has also produced one of the tracks on the ʻBreathe” EP, ʻHurricaneʼ.

Jennifer Jewell will be promoting the EP all around the city over the next couple of
months so be sure to catch one of her shows!
 
 
 
 
 
Questions for Jennifer Jewell
 
1 – How did your musical career start?
I’ve started singing when I was around 6 but only casually as most young girls do! I always loved pop music! I started taking it more seriously when I moved to London aged 18 to get myself more in the industry. From then it’s just been a massive combination of things that I’ve had to adapt with to get the most of the opportunities.
 
2 – Who are your biggest musical influences or heroes?
My main influence is Whitney Houston. She was the artist who made me fall in love with vocals, and vocals are still my favourite thing about music. Her voice was flawless. I’ve always admired music producers and songwriters. As a kid, I’d always read the album notes to see who wrote or produced the song. My favourite two are David Foster and Diane Warren. I always fall in love with their music.
 
3 – What has been the biggest surprise on your journey so far?
I think this industry is so unpredictable that there are constant surprises. You think things will go a certain way but you can never predict! I find that fun! I like when I get an opportunity I never even considered! Being asked to become an ambassador for the charity Dreams For Children was something I never expected but I’m extremely honoured and proud to be an ambassador for a such great cause.
 
4 – As a singer/songwriter, do you find creating your songs flows easily or is it a long process?
I find it completely differs from song to song. Sometimes a great track flows out so easily, which is what happened with ‘Like Woah’. I had the music, melody and lyrics done in one night! Then other times I’ll keep coming back to a song that I believe has potential but just isn’t quite right yet. It can take a while in that case. I always do my best to never force it though. If it’s not working, I’ll come back to it at a later date and see if I can improve it then.
 
5 - You performed in a more stripped back style with an acoustic guitarist on Vidzta, is this a direction you can see yourself heading in over time?
Yeah, I love acoustic music. Doing the Vidzta gig was a great opportunity to show people a different side to me as an artist. I’m a pop artist so of course I’m going to need the big production on tracks at times, but as a songwriter, stripping everything back is a nice way to show the audience your music in a purer form. I may look into doing an acoustic album in the future, I’d enjoy that.
 
6 – You’ve performed in front of 40,000 people at Goodison Park, how was that experience?
One of the best of my life. I’ve been going to Goodison Park since I was 6 years old so it was an honour. I’d say it was something I’d dreamt off but honestly, it never crossed my mind that it was a possibility until recently. Even doing my soundcheck was overwhelming in such a big stadium and such a great feeling, so stepping out onto the pitch in front of almost 40,000 was just unreal. The reception I got from the Everton fans was so amazing and unexpected and I’m dying to get out there to do it again!
 
7 – You’ve received a lot of support from Everton FC, has this helped you extend your reach and get your music to spread further?
100%. In our city, football is probably the most important thing, so having the club behind me introduces me to so many potential new fans. One of the best things about our city is that we want to support each other, we want each other to do well and we’re proud of one another. You don’t get that in many other cities. So the support I’ve had from the Everton fans and beyond is invaluable and I definitely have the club to thank for that. I also have some great Liverpool fans too who deserve a mention! Everyone is giving me so much support that I can’t thank them enough.
 
8 - If you could be granted one wish, and your choices were a hit single or Everton winning the Premier league, which would it be and why?
Ooooo. I’m sorry, but I have to say a hit single! It is a hard choice but I’ve worked my whole life for that opportunity. I think we can win the title at some point anyway, even without my wish! Haha!
 
9 – Where would you most like to play a live show?
I’d love to play at the MEN Arena in Manchester as that’s where I used to go and watch all the artists I loved as a kid. The Echo Arena wasn’t built then! I used to dream and imagine myself performing up there so that would be special! And now of course the Echo Arena is a target of mine.
 
10 – So with your EP out on I-tunes now, what is next for Jennifer Jewell?
Quite a lot! I’ve got a school tour planned for the summer which I’m really looking forward to! And I’ve just started working on writing some new music too! I’m just going with the opportunities that come my way and making the most of it all! I’m having so much fun and look forward to everything.
 
It was a pleasure to hear from Jennifer for the blog and even more so as a fellow Evertonian! Wishing her all the best in her career and here's hoping she gets both her dreams, of a number one single and a Premier league title for Everton FC!
 
 
 
Links for Jennifer Jewell

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment