Sunday 9 February 2014

Crafters Sunday - Kittypinkstars

 

Kittypinkstars

 


I came from another planet...

One day I will go home...

BUT until then.. My memories. My daydreams and my imagination will help me to create things that will make people smile!

I'm a contradiction... I'm sunshine AND thunder clouds.. I make rainbows.. I dream BIG!

Life's an adventure.... Wanna come with me?
 
 

Questions for Kittypinkstars


 

Q1 - What made you first start producing your creations?
As a child I always wanted to draw and create things. I was inspired by my Nan who would make all our soft toys as we grew up. I would always love to receive another plush friend for birthdays and Christmas. Sadly my Nan passed away before my son was born, so he never got to meet her and see for himself what a funny, sweet and creative lady she was, and I decided to show him how it felt by sharing the magic and carrying on the tradition myself. I still have Norman the fox that my Nan made for me. He's been through so much and means the world to me. So much more than a shop bought factory made toy ever could.

 

 



I bought a copy of John Murphy's Stupid Sock creatures and created my first plush sock creature. As usual I didn't follow the instructions completely so had already formed my own design. Noah loved it and people seemed to like them so I started to make more, and Kittypinkstars was born. I was proud to be a part of John Murphy's follow up book 'return of the stupid sock creatures' with my design for a creature called 'rainbow dribble' featuring as a pattern that other people could make.
  

Q2 - Where do you get your inspiration from?
  

My inspiration comes from my dreams, daydreams, nature, my pets, my family, my love of animals, my magical childhood and a true belief that I am from another planet.


Q3 - Your creations are always very positive in style & colour, is this something you aim for or just the way they turn out in the end?


Positivity is extremely important to me, and when times are tough it's my sense of humour and optimism that help get me and the people I love through. I wanted my artwork to be an extension of that, something to cheer people up and ignite positivity. That's why I include a peace of hand-drawn art with my 'wookies' - palm-sized plush based on my doodles of hamsters - with a positive message to spread optimism and cheer! I started my 'Happy Kits' a couple of years ago after being asked so often about my positive attitude so I decided to share the magic - I call it 'positivity in a paper bag'!

Q4 - Do you have a favourite of all your creations, past & present?
  

I'm not sure I have a favourite, but the sock creatures will always hold a special place in my heart, as they were my starting block, and you should always embrace where you come from. I feel that 'Rainbow Dribble' from the 'return of the stupid sock creatures' book was a kind of evolution of my older designs. These days I’m very excited about my 'wookie' line, especially as the possibilities (however challenging) are endless! For the last two months I've been designing a different animal 'Wookie' every day!





Q5 - What advice would you give anyone that's starting out in crafting & wanting to make a success of it?


Be yourself

Be inspired but be unique

Never give up

Never compare yourself to others

'The only person you need to compete with is the person you were yesterday'

 

Links for Kittypinkstars



A big thank you to Kittypinkstars for being the first feature on 'We are recycled' and for spreading a bit of colourful happiness in the world! Good luck with all your future endeavours and we look forward to revisiting you again at some point in the future!








6 comments:

  1. I have recently started following on facebook. As a recent fellow crafter of Tiny cottage crafts I share your passion. Love your work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty, it was so nice to read more about you and how you began! Glad I met you on facebook. You really are one of a kind! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments guys, if you want to be a future feature then let me know! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much guys.... I love what I do and I think it shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun. Love the new blog Michael. Kitty, it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete