Sunday 6 April 2014

Crafters Sunday - Heart Felt Design


Heart Felt Design

 
 

 

I'm Telah McClary and I am the owner and lead designer at Heart Felt Design on Etsy. I am also a pastor’s wife, and mom to 4 kids ages 4, 6, 9 and 14.  Running a full time business from home and raising 4 kids while my husband plants a new church is overwhelming at times, but I absolutely love what I do and am very blessed to be able to work and be home with my family. Heart Felt Design was born out of a dark season in my family's life. In October of 2010. My husband was in between ministries and working frantically at a commission only sales jobs. We were struggling financially to support our 4 kids whom I home schooled at the time, Christmas was fast approaching, and I honestly didn't see how we were going to be able to afford any presents for them. I started thinking about possibly making gifts for them, and while I was browsing Pinterest one day, I saw a free pattern for some felt play food and thought I could try my hand at making some for my daughter. I asked my husband for $10 for some felt, needle and thread and stayed up all night sewing. I posted pictures of what I made on Facebook and several friends commented that they wanted me to make them some felt food as well and ended up making enough money selling that I was able to buy gifts for all of my kids. What started out as a desperate Mom's desire to make a few Christmas presents has turned into a full time legit business and I can honestly say that I love going to work every day.

 
 

Questions for Heart Felt Designs


1 – You make such fun and colourful creations, does this give you even more satisfaction considering the dark times that led you to making your creations?

Very much so. For me the whole process of creating and sewing has been very therapeutic.  Things in my life at that time felt a bit out of control and uncertain but sewing gave me a sense of calm that there was something I could do and spend my energies on besides worrying.  I still love the feeling of accomplishment that comes from holding a finished project in my hand.

2 – Have you a favourite of your creations so far, and if so what was it?

I have two.   The first is the very first stuffed monster I ever made. It isn't in any way beautiful or even well made. It was for my son Zeke who was having surgery and I wanted him to have something to take in to the procedure with him since I could not be there.  It's a ratty old mess now but he refuses to let it go.  
 
 
The second is a pet portrait pillow I made for a customer in memory of her bulldog Maggie who had passed away.  My assistant and I spent hours poring over the pictures she sent while making the pattern, picking out fabric, and assembling it all. It was such an honour to be trusted with her memory and in a very small way bring her back to her family.

 
 



3 – What would you most like to create in your style?

Well I am absolutely loving working on portrait pillows at the moment.  I think it would be fun to get a commission for a set of pillows of a whole family.



4 – Has the success of your work surprised you at all?

Definitely.  I still get a rush every time I sell an item.  It’s really a humbling thing that anyone would want to spend their hard earned money on something I make which drives me to make sure my product is worth every single penny.


5 – What advice would you give to anyone that’s starting out in crafting and would like to make a success of it?

My advice isn't original or world shattering in any way but it's the truth.  Be yourself, do what you love and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.  To me success isn't measured by how much money you make or even being number one at something.  It's all about how you feel at the end of the day.  Did you work hard?  Do your best?  Make someone happy?  That is success.
 

 
 

 

Links for Heart Felt Designs


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment