Sunday 20 April 2014

Crafters Sunday - Princess And The Bear


Princess And The Bear

 
 

I've been knitting since my Grandma 'Ninga' taught me age 4 or 5, It’s something I've always loved. I didn't make my first big thing until I was about 14 and I made a polar bear jumper, I never did get round to sewing all the ends in but I still wear it to this day.

I was at work one day last year and I decided to make a Facebook page to see if there was any call for knitted toys etc., and within minutes I had 2 orders! The name 'princess and the Bear’ came from my two dogs, Phoebe the Princess and my Bear Jack. I am always amazed that people are willing to pay for something that I would be making anyway, I feel a bit of a fraud sometimes! I now have an Etsy shop and I always have a couple of commissions on the go. I occasionally make creations from felt and fabric, but sadly I haven't inherited Ninga's seamstress skills.
 
 

When I'm not knitting, or crocheting blankets, I can be found in the garden with Phoebe and my chickens Margot and Henrietta, reading and eating chocolate, sometimes doing all 3 at once :)

 
 
Questions for Princess And The Bear
 
1 – What was it about knitting that really got you so enthusiastic in the start?
 
In the very beginning it was something my grandma always did and I wanted to do the same as her, I was always fascinated by how she would just sit and watch TV or read, all the time needles clicking. I loved the sound they made, so I got her to teach me. I made my first big project as a young teenager. I had a break for a few years while I went to Uni and then worked, but I took it up again about 15 years ago, I wanted something to do to help me cope with the loss of my dad, and I just found it relaxed me, it calmed me and gave me something to concentrate on. It’s still the only thing I do to relax.
 
2 – Your creations are wonderfully vintage, has it surprised you the interest in them giving the way technology has become such a big thing in our lives these days?
 
I'm absolutely baffled by it! Knitted things were always laughed at, they conjure up images of hideous Christmas sweaters, all baggy and lumpy :) Vintage things are a big trend these days and handmade is a huge thing at the moment, Technology is so helpful, and websites such as Facebook spread the word instantly. I have found a lot of my custom has come from me taking a photo of something and people seeing a cushion in the background and asking can I make them one :) it’s such a fabulous platform for the artist today.
 
3 – Have you got a favourite creation and if so, why?
 
My mum made me 2 sleepy dolls called 'Billy and Cooey' before I was even born, the pattern was lost many years ago. When my best friend said she was expecting I knew exactly what I wanted to make for her, so I painstakingly counted and measured my Billy and Cooey, making notes, trialling the pattern, changing things until I was happy, then chose the nicest baby yarn I could and recreated them for her. I was so proud to make her cry ...in a good way :)

4 – What would you most like to try and create?

I have a huge soft spot for the Magic Roundabout, I loved it as a child, there was a feature length film made and I knew all the words, I did all the accents and I used to fall asleep listening to it, so I would love to knit myself a set of Characters :) That's something for the future though.

5 – What advice would you give anyone that’s starting out in crafting and wants to make a go of it?

Do it! I started off by literally just making a Facebook page to see if there was any interest, now I have orders coming in all the time. I would say only do it if you absolutely love it, and stick to your guns, be honest with yourself and have a clear idea of who you are. It’s easy to try and jump about, knitted toys, then to cards, to fabric gifts etc., you need an identity and you need to REALLY love what you do, because when you are knitting your 23rd yellow minion, your love will be severely tested :D
 




 
Links for Princess And The Bear

 
 
A big thank you to Sam for taking the time out from her knitting to speak to me for the blog and I wish her much success with all her creative ventures in the future!
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Super talented lady and a truly magic soul! Thanks for sharing your creative story! *high fives*

    ReplyDelete