Sunday 6 April 2014

Music Monday - Only Child


Only Child

 

 
 

Only Child make emotional music. 2012's debut EP was a collaboration between Alan O’Hare (ex-The Trestles) and Laura McKinlay (Bill Ryder-Jones), alongside a loose collective of Merseyside’s most intuitive musicians. Only Child have headlined the likes of Leaf, Liverpool Acoustic @View Two and The Zanzibar, alongside supported the likes of Miles Hunt (The Wonder Stuff); Steve Pilgrim (Paul Weller); Michael Weston King (My Darling Clementine); Ian Prowse (Amsterdam/Pele) and Gemma Hayes. Rave reviews of the EP and live gigs have followed and O'Hare is about to release the very first Only Child album, via Crosstown Records, in April 2014.

Reviews
"Musically gifted and beautifully played..." Seven Streets;
"Like throwing crisp autumn leaves into the air..." Audio Apocalypse;
"Beautifully haunting, the band falls away, leaving just strings..." Liverpool Acoustic; "Only Child summarise a feeling felt by many and with a pure Celtic heart..." Liverpool Student Media.




Ten Questions for Only Child

 
1 – Where did the name come from?


I’m an only child! My previous band had ended and the music I was starting to make was completely different to everything that had come before. I wanted the name to reflect the emotional range of the new songs I was writing and it was also a statement of defiance.

 
2 – How did your journey into creating music start?

I heard Bob Dylan sing! And Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Noel Gallagher and Michael Stipe. And then I heard Kevin Rowland lead a band… and wanted to do that! The music I made as a younger man was one dimensional, foot to the floor rock and roll music. It was fun – but went nowhere. I’d advise anyone starting out to lift their head from the storm and realise exactly what music you want to make… and then remain true to it.

3 – There’s a beautiful Celtic sound that runs through your music, has this been a style you’ve always aimed for?

Thank you. It comes with the apostrophe to be honest! My lyrics have always reflected that ethereal Celtic spirit, but it’s only since I started Only Child that the music has revealed that influence. Laura McKinlay, my mate who plays fiddle and writes string arrangements for the band, brings a boat load of Caledonian soul down from Denny, in Scotland, too. Between my apostrophe and her small ‘c’, we’ve got it covered!

4 – What was the experience of recording the album like?

The best musical one of my life! I made the album at Crosstown Studios, in Liverpool, with a guy named Jon Lawton. I’ve written in the sleeve notes to the record that I made an album – but gained a friend. Music is all about communication and connection – and we’ve got that in abundance on this album. Jon was the North Star for me during these recordings: someone to guide the ship by.

5 – You’ve supported lots of experienced musicians, including the wonderful Gemma Hayes, have you found this has influenced your sound, or the band in another way?

Certainly. To be honest, support slots only give you what you take from them. You have to go out to grab the attention of the crowd and not apologise for being there. Supporting the likes of Miles Hunt and Ian Prowse has been invaluable for me as a performer and band leader – you cannot help but learn from such experience. It’s also a great opportunity to sell CDs and steal fans too!

6 – The Liverpool scene appears to be bursting with fresh talent, how does it feel to be a part of it and do you find you all support each other rather than having rivalries?

I don’t really feel part of it, to be honest. While it’s right to say it’s bursting with fresh talent at the minute, I think it often is and right now is not much different to the past. These things come and go in cycles. I know loads of musicians around the town and have lots of friends who I’ll always support and go to their gigs etc. I buy a CD at nearly every gig I go to these days!

7 – What would be your dream venue to play?

Liverpool’s Philharmonic Hall. The best sounding venue I’ve ever stepped foot in.

8 – Which artist/artists have inspired you most?

There are many, I inhabit music and spend my days thinking about it. But, if push comes to shove, I’d have to say Van Morrison. The music is in him – it’s that simple. I don’t believe in magic, but I believe Van is in touch with whatever it is that makes the wind blow and the sun shine. His fearlessness continues to be an inspiration to me – and hopefully always will.

9 – Is there a song that you wish you had written/recorded yourselves?

Great question… yes, lots! Don’t trust any songwriter who says otherwise either! I think the thing I go to music for the most… is joy. And the release a well strummed acoustic guitar melody, of fiddle riff, can bring. So I’d have to say ‘Fisherman’s Blues’ by The Waterboys. In fact, I’m gonna’ go put it on as soon as I finish this!

10 – What’s next for the band?

A big album launch gig on Saturday, April 26 at The Zanzibar in Liverpool. We’ll be joined by the Liva String Quartet on the night and I can’t wait! Before that, the album (‘From Muddy Water To Higher Ground’) will be released on iTunes and Google Play etc. and then the physical CDs will be on sale at the gig. After that, we’re booked in to play the ‘Above The Beaten Track’ festival at the end of August. In between, I’m hoping we sell enough CDs to get the band on the road for a couple of gigs further afield! The music we’re making right now deserves to be heard by as many people as possible.



I’d like to say a huge thank you to Alan for taking the time to be interviewed for the blog and hope the launch party is just the start of even bigger things for Only Child!

Here is the first promo single from our forthcoming album, the song is called 'Higher Ground'
 

 
The album will be available from the launch gig on CD and is called 'From muddy water to higher ground'. Before that, it'll be released digitally (iTunes, Google Play etc.) via Crosstown Records in April.


 
 
Links for Only Child
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment