Tuesday 22 April 2014

Writers Wednesday - John Paul Bernett


John Paul Bernett

 
 
 

As a boy I used to write short stories but I would never let anyone read them for fear of them laughing at me; you see I suffered from what is now known as dyslexia. I also had a problem with reading and this exists to this day. If I read more than one page; once I turn the page over I have lost all the information from the previous one. This, you would think was a problem for me and you would be right. Because of it I would destroy anything I had written. I was like this until I met my wife in 2003, then things changed for me. One day she saw something I had written and asked me how long I had been writing. I was embarrassed about it but told her about my problems with reading and writing. She encouraged me to write more and let her edit my work. To cut a long story short she became my muse and gave me a mantra to work to 'There are no wrongs, just write' and in 2012 my first novel was published 'Atkinson's Administration' book one of my Reaper series. 'Rhymes' my first poetry book followed the same year. 2013 saw the publication of 'Atkinson's Armageddon' book two of the Reaper series and 'More Rhymes' my second poetry book. So far in 2014 I have published 'A Switch in Time' a time travelling love story and 'Here We Rhyme again' my third poetry book. I am currently working on 'Atkinson's Adversary' book three of the Reaper series and 'A Woman at The Helm' a follow up to 'A Switch in Time'. I have 50 years worth of stories in my mind to get through so I have a busy time ahead of me.

 
Questions for John Paul Bernett

1 – A lot of your work has a darkness to it, does a lot of this stem from the difficult times you have faced throughout your life?

My darkness in the reaper series The Atkinson books stems from a recurring nightmare I have had since I was a young boy. I dream over and over again that there is a reaper in a different realm of existence cutting the mortal cord (Coil) of the people who die in this one.  It also stems from a torrid time at school in the middle to late sixties where Dyslexia was unheard of and anyone who suffered from it was simply left behind.
 
2 – Do you find writing a cathartic experience?
 
I would say yes to that question because writing about my dreams (which is where most of Atkinson’s Administration came from) is a kind of therapy against the darkness. Also writing is a way of me relaxing especially the poetry. I suppose I go through every emotion there is while writing, but I think you should do that if you are transferring your passion to your work.
 
3 – What is it about the gothic era and Steampunk that you find so inspirational?
 
This one is easy. I became what is now known as a ‘Goth’ just after I emerged from Punk. The lifestyle fitted my way of thinking. I felt at ease in the culture and the colour choice of black or darker was great. I loved the music scene and made many friends that I still have to this day,
Steampunk is relatively new and I got caught up in it when I was writing A Switch in Time. I realised the very fact that I had used the Victorian era as the part of history I wanted my spoilt horrible young woman sent to made this book a hit with so many Steampunks. I was invited to a literary event at the Leeds Central Library. The kind of event where you have a table of your latest offerings and you read part of one of your books. I quickly realised my darker writings i.e. The Reaper series was not what they were after so I asked Bev my wife to read a few pages of the then 30 pages of A Switch in Time and they loved it and now I keep getting asked back to these events.
 
4 – How do you set about writing your novels, what is your basic plan of action?
 
I don’t do the word count per day system I just write as the story comes to me. I have a lot of different types of stories to tell and I have written most of them before in my lifetime of secret writing (A time I spent writing and then destroying the stories before anyone saw them and laughed at me) As an idea comes to me very quickly I begin to remember the story from long ago and then I’m away. I have never tried to push my writing I think it would just make for more editing.
 
5 – What can we expect from you with your writing in the future?
 
What is to come let’s see, parts three, four, five and six of the Reaper Series and at least one sequel to A Switch in Time possibly two. I will be adding more poetry to my Rhymes collection of course. Also I want to collaborate with my wife Bevie of a series of children’s books based on her life with hamsters, but be sure there is more darkness to come and you will fear the reaper
 
Links for John Paul Bernett
 
 Book links


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Michael for putting this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure John, thank you for your involvement! :)

      Delete