Tuesday 8 April 2014

Writers Wednesday - Julie Shackman


Julie Shackman

 
 
 
 

I trained as a journalist but writing romance has always been a dream of mine. When I’ve not got my head in a book or drafting one, I write verses and captions for greetings card companies. Writing at home seems to be incredibly difficult for me – I usually require coffee, music and noise.


“Rock My World” is my first contemporary romance novel. I have just finished writing my second novel and am polishing that at the moment whilst beginning to do some research for my third. These are also contemporary romances with a good dose of humour (hopefully!). I’m married, have two sons and live in Scotland.
 
 
 
"Rock My World"
Ruby Cameron is an ambitious reporter for a local paper where she is fed scraps of news, and lives with a man whose “idea of living dangerously is to leave the heating on when we pop out to the shops”. But after catching her squeaky clean boyfriend in flagrante delicto she ups sticks and moves into her own small home, only to discover the ghostly presence of a cheeky rock star who becomes her confidant as the dynamics of her small town, and her feelings about her dashing new boss, begin to throw up more questions than she can answer. Will Ruby discover who she really is, and perhaps more importantly, who she wants to be?
 

Questions for Julie Shackman

 

1 - What finally made you try to achieve your dream of writing a book?

I think it was all the romance novels I read, that really inspired me to try and write my own! Also, once my two sons got a bit older, I found I had a bit more time to sit down and get on with it and jot down ideas.

 

2 - Where do you get your best inspiration from?

Definitely from reading and music - two of my favourite past-times. I find it really difficult to try and write without music on in the background and listening to my favourite bands and their lyrics seems to help inspire me.

 

3 - What has been the most exciting part of your journey in writing so far?

I think getting feedback from readers to say how much they are enjoying "Rock My World" - that has been incredible and I hope it continues! For someone to get in touch and say your writing made them laugh and cry, is an amazing feeling.

 

4 - What advice would you give to anyone starting out in writing and wanting to make a success of it?

Don't Give Up! Read as much as you can, write as much as you can and just keep going. If you want it badly enough, it will happen.

 

5 - What can your readers expect from you in the future?

I've just finished writing my second novel (a rom-com) and am polishing that at the moment. I've also started pulling together research for my third novel, which has a famous figure from the past as its main character....
 
 
Links for Julie Shackman

Not So Noble Books (Publisher) - http://t.co/RvLGJMdWkr

 
 
 
 



 

1 comment:

  1. That was a great interview. I love how she says "If you want it badly enough, it will happen" :) xx

    ReplyDelete